Making things happen: Coaching, mentoring and accountability
5 min read
In today's fast-paced world, it is not uncommon to feel overwhelmed by the demands of work, home, and personal life. Many people struggle to find a balance between their professional responsibilities and their desire for a fulfilling personal life. If you are someone who aspires to be more organised and productive in all aspects of your life, then coaching and/or mentoring with a good dose of accountability could be just what you need to unlock your full potential.
In this second part of her ‘Making things happen’ blog, APDO member Julie Stevens helps us understand more about professional coaching, mentoring and accountability. She explores what each involves and highlights 7 benefits to working with a coach or mentor.
Understanding Coaching, Mentoring & Accountability
Coaching is a collaborative co-creative process between a coach and an individual aimed at facilitating personal growth and development in any and every area of life. It involves asking powerful questions during a series of conversations and the undertaking of practical exercises. It provides a safe non judgemental space for reflection, offers guidance, and champions you as you explore your thoughts, values and beliefs as you seek to change. Coaching focuses on empowering individuals to uncover their own solutions by asking thought-provoking questions. It encourages self-reflection and self-discovery.
“Coaching is helping others to feel inspired and motivated to grow themselves” Lou Tice
Mentoring is a relationship between two people where an experienced individual shares their knowledge, wisdom, and
expertise with someone who seeks guidance and solutions in a specific area of their life. A mentor acts as a trusted advisor who provides support, encouragement, and practical advice based on their own experiences.
Coaches and Mentors should be trained professionals, who have the expertise to help you identify your strengths, uncover hidden barriers, set achievable goals, and develop practical strategies to overcome challenges.
In my personal experience, coaches and mentors add immense value to people’s lives. However, an individual benefits greatly when accountability is added into the contracted relationship.
Being accountable means taking responsibility for actions, staying committed to goals, and being answerable for the outcomes achieved. Hence in the coaching or mentoring relationship, the actions agreed to be taken between coaching or mentoring sessions will have a greater likelihood of being accomplished if an accountability partner is checking in with you, in a positive way.
7 Key Benefits of Coaching, Mentoring and Accountability
1. Gaining Clarity: One of the greatest benefits of coaching and mentoring is gaining clarity about what truly matters to you. By engaging in deep conversations with your coach or mentor, you will discover what drives you and what areas of your life need attention. This self-awareness will enable you to align your goals with your values, leading to a sense of purpose during the actions and tasks you undertake.
2. Setting Meaningful Goals: A coach or mentor will help you set specific, measurable, attractive, realistic, and thrilling (and/or time bound) (SMART) goals that are tailored specifically to your needs at that specific moment in time and when working towards your bigger life goals. Together you will break down these goals into manageable steps so that they become actionable tasks that propel you forward towards success.
3. Overcoming Obstacles: As you work towards your goals you will inevitably come across challenges and sometimes some obstacles. Your coach or mentor will assist you in identifying potential roadblocks and developing strategies to overcome them. They will help you reframe challenges as opportunities for growth, empowering you to move forward with resilience and determination.
4. Fostering Work-Life Balance: Achieving work-life balance is a common aspiration for many individuals seeking greater happiness. A coach or mentor can guide you in creating boundaries, managing priorities, and finding harmony between your personal life and professional responsibilities. This holistic approach ensures that your efforts towards organisation and productivity enhance all areas of your life.
5. Boosting Confidence: The support of a coach or mentor provides validation for your efforts and helps build self-belief along the way as you identify your strengths and unique abilities. As your coach or mentor provides encouragement, celebrates your successes and keeps you on track, your newfound confidence will extend into all areas of your life, allowing you to tackle challenges with renewed vigour and excitement.
6. Increased Motivation: One of the primary advantages of working with an accountability partner is the added motivation it brings. When we know that someone is counting on us to take action or reach certain milestones, we are more likely to follow through. Our partner acts as a cheerleader, encouraging us when we face challenges or feel discouraged. This support system keeps us motivated even during difficult times.
7. Deeper Focus: With so many distractions in today's fast-paced world, it's easy to lose sight of our goals or get sidetracked by daily responsibilities. However, when we have regular check-ins with someone who holds us accountable, we are forced to prioritise our tasks and stay focused on what truly matters.
Ultimately the real bonus of coaching or mentoring coupled with accountability is that you begin to know yourself well.
“Knowing yourself well will increase your ability to make things happen.” Julie Stevens
Coaching, mentoring and accountability have the power to transform disorganisation into order, chaos into calmness, and unproductive into efficiency. By working with a skilled professional who understands your unique needs, goals, and challenges, you can unlock your full potential for success.
Investing in coaching or mentoring is an investment in yourself – one that pays dividends not only in terms of increased organisation and productivity but also in overall happiness and fulfilment across all aspects of life.
If you would like to work with a coach or mentor, search our membership for specialist services using our Find an organiser feature.
Julie Stevens is a member of APDO and a Co-Creative Productivity Coach with a background of 30 years in Interior Design for the workplace and home. She enjoys seeing the changes in people as they curate and cultivate the things that make them truly Younique. You can find out more at youniquedesigns.co.uk